Sunday, February 14, 2010

Exploring Your Suroundings

So it has been 4 months now since I moved to Portland, OR. The first 28 years of my life were spent in CA, and the past 22 of those were in the Antelope Valley. If you asked me how well I knew the place I would have said I knew it like the back of my hand, and yet I really don't think I knew much of it at all. I mean sure I could tell you where the mall is, or how to get to a specific intersection in most of the city but I'm sure there are tons of places I never even knew existed. I never really went exploring.

I don't really know what it is in my psyche that makes me such a sedintary homebody type of person but it has always been that way. Maybe it was nature, maybe nurture, but whatever it was it has crept deep into who I am and I need to break out of it. I need to go out and get lost on purpose. I need to take trips for the sake of taking them.

My backyard now consists of everything from huge mountains, forests for miles, streams and rivers, a whole new stretch of coastline, and a downtown that is vibrant and diverse. I want to make sure that I get to know all there is to know about this wonderful place that I live. I want to make sure that my daughter experiences everything and becomes well rounded and active.

Last weekend marked our first trip to the Oregon Coast, and we had a blast, so here is to more adventures and to hoping that for the first time in my life I can break out and really truly explore my suroundings.




2 comments:

  1. I love getting lost on purpose! Some of my best memories are doing just that. That's great that you want to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! I think it is easier to explore a new place than explore a place you have been your whole life. But good for you guys, it looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete